We’ve now had a couple of big scoring rounds in a row and like us, it appears that the NRL players are aiming for a strong finish to the season. I’m all for it.
Apologies for the condensed analysis today. I’m a bit time poor this week.
Let’s look at the round 23 teams.
SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS v PENRITH PANTHERS
Thursday, 7.50pm, Accor Stadium, Sydney
South Sydney Rabbitohs
1. Latrell Mitchell 2. Alex Johnston 3. Isaiah Tass 4. Campbell Graham 5. Jaxson Paulo 6. Cody Walker 7. Lachlan Ilias 8. Tevita Tatola 9. Damien Cook 10. Daniel Suluka-Fifita 11. Keaon Koloamatangi 12. Jai Arrow 13. Cameron Murray
Bench: 14. Taane Milne 15. Mark Nicholls 16. Siliva Havili 17. Hame Sele
Reserves: 18. Blake Taaffe 19. Dean Hawkins 20. Davvy Moale 21. Shaq Mitchell 22. Izaac Thompson
Changes: Campbell Graham, Lachlan Ilias, Daniel Suluka-Fifita in
Izaac Thompson, Dean Hawkins, Davvy Moale out
Winner: Campbell Graham ($613k / BE 134) makes his long awaited return from injury. The man was averaging 64.4 PPG before getting hurt.
Loser: Latrell Mitchell ($826k / 115 pts / BE 23) had a big game against the Eels last Friday but has sent a scare through Bunnies camp and SuperCoach circles by leaving training early with a groin issue. A concern worth watching, that’s for sure.
SuperCoach Talk: Campbell is back which sees Izack Thompson ($175k / 55 pts / BE -66) drop out of the side. Jaxson Paulo ($351k / 32 pts / BE 57) moves to the wing.
Daniel Suluka-Fifita ($236k / BE 16) is back in with Davvy Moale ($193k / 15 pts / BE 18) making way. Lachlan Ilias ($332k / BE 18) is in at halfback for Dean Hawkins ($205k / 38 pts).
1. Dylan Edwards 2. Sunia Turuva 3. Izack Tago 4. Stephen Crichton 5. Brian To’o 6. Jaeman Salmon 7. Sean O’Sullivan 8. Moses Leota 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. Matt Eisenhuth 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Liam Martin 13. Isaah Yeo
Bench: 14. Mitch Kenny 15. Scott Sorensen 16. Spencer Leniu 17. Charlie Staines
Reserves: 18. Robert Jennings 19. J’maine Hopgood 20. Taylan May 21. Chris Smith 22. Kurt Falls
Changes: Dylan Edwards in
Robert Jennings out
Winner: The Panthers looked a shell of themselves last week but Dylan Edwards ($608k / BE 63) is a huge bonus. He’s criminally underrated in my book.
Loser: Taylan May ($441k / BE 79) remains out with that shoulder injury that saw him miss last round, although he is listed on the extended bench.
SuperCoach Talk: Just that one change made for the time being but not the only one I expect.
Chris Smith ($279k / BE 61) was omitted last week when Viliame Kikau ($562k / 50 pts / BE 99) returned but he’s likely to be recalled now with Liam Martin ($444k / 32 pts / BE 73) likely to be sidelined by an ankle injury.
Nth QUEENSLAND COWBOYS v THE WARRIORS
Friday, 6.00pm, Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville
Nth Queensland Cowboys
1. Scott Drinkwater 2. Kyle Feldt 3. Valentine Holmes 4. Peta Hiku 5. Murray Taulagi 6. Tom Dearden 7. Chad Townsend 8. Jordan McLean 9. Reece Robson 10. Reuben Cotter 11. Tom Gilbert 12. Jeremiah Nanai 13. Jason Taumalolo
Bench: 14. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow 15. Luciano Leilua 16. Coen Hess 17. Griffin Neame
Reserves: 18. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown 19. Ben Hampton 20. Jake Granville 21. Brendan Elliot 22. Connelly Lemuelu
Changes: Kyle Feldt in
Jamayne Taunoa-Brown out
Winner: Scott Drinkwater ($624k / 48 pts / BE 72) was kept quiet against the Chooks but now plays a Warriors side allowing the second most points to fullbacks at 69.1 PPG.
Loser: Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow ($265k / 46 pts / BE -4) is back on the bench as the utility. He’ll be a bit part player from here on out.
SuperCoach Talk: The Hammer has been relegated because of the return of Kyle Feldt ($457k / BE 79) to the starting side. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown ($260k / 30 pts / BE 36) has been dropped.
1. Reece Walsh 2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 3. Viliami Vailea 4. Marcelo Montoya 5. Edward Kosi 6. Daejarn Asi 7. Shaun Johnson 8. Addin Fonua-Blake 9. Wayde Egan 10. Tohu Harris 11. Euan Aitken 12. Jack Murchie 13. Bunty Afoa
Bench: 14. Freddy Lussick 15. Tom Ale 16. Eliesa Katoa 17. Josh Curran
Reserves: 18. Chanel Harris-Tavita 20. Dunamis Lui 21. Jackson Frei 22. Adam Pompey 23. Rocco Berry
Changes: No changes
Winner: I’d assumed his NRL story was over but Chanel Harris-Tavita ($256k / BE 27) has been named on the extended bench here. I’m happy to see he’ll get to finish the year out.
Loser: Josh Curran ($402k / 61 pts / BE 22) has once again been named on the bench. He was close to the best for the Warriors last week. I just don’t get it.
SuperCoach Talk: No changes for the Warriors after putting up such a dominant display in New Zealand.
BRISBANE BRONCOS v MELBOURNE STORM
Friday, 7.55pm, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
1. Te Maire Martin 2. Corey Oates 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Delouise Hoeter 5. Selwyn Cobbo 6. Ezra Mam 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Thomas Flegler 9. Billy Walters 10. Payne Haas 11. Kurt Capewell 12. Jordan Riki 13. Kobe Hetherington
Bench: 14. Jake Turpin 15. Rhys Kennedy 16. Corey Jensen 17. Ryan James
Reserves: 18. Jordan Pereira 19. Cory Paix 20. Tyson Gamble 21. Xavier Willison 22. Zac Hosking
Changes: No changes
Winner: Selwyn Cobbo ($577k / 119 pts / BE 66) notched up his second hat-trick of his young career. He was back to his flashy best last Saturday.
Loser: Ezra Mam ($447k / 59 pts / BE 37) has missed a couple of training sessions this week with a stomach bug. He should be ok by Friday but it depends on how long it lasts I guess.
SuperCoach Talk: The Broncos won handily last round so haven’t had to make any changes for the upcoming game.
1. Nick Meaney 2. David Nofoaluma 3. Young Tonumaipea 4. Justin Olam 5. Xavier Coates 6. Cameron Munster 7. Jahrome Hughes 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Harry Grant 10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 11. Tom Eisenhuth 12. Kenny Bromwich 13. Josh King
Bench: 14. Brandon Smith 15. Tui Kamikamica 16. Chris Lewis 17. Tyran Wishart
Reserves: 18. Alec MacDonald 19. Jayden Nikorima 20. Grant Anderson 21. Jordan Grant 22. Trent Loiero
Changes: Jahrome Hughes, Young Tonumaipea in
Cooper Johns, Marion Seve out
Winner: Cameron Munster ($730k / 76 pts / BE 34) has been flying in recent weeks. He’s been named at five-eighth again but could very well switch with Nick Meaney ($557k / 52 pts / BE 94) in game as they did last week.
Loser: Jahrome Hughes ($532k / BE 76) is reportedly champing at the bit to get back on field, so he’s been named to return early and Cooper Johns ($248k / 20 pts / BE -29) is gone.
SuperCoach Talk: The Storm aren’t making many changes to the side that put Penrith to the sword last Thursday.
Hughes is a big in, and Marion Seve ($431k / 50 pts / BE 67) has been replaced at centre by Young Tonumaipea ($225k).
But keep in mind, Brandon Smith ($460k / 89 pts / BE 17) and Tui Kamikamica ($401k / 58 pts / BE 50) were both brought into the starting side by game day and are likely to be brought up again.
PARRAMATTA EELS v CANTERBURY BULLDOGS
Saturday, 3.00pm, CommBank Stadium, Sydney
1. Clinton Gutherson 2. Maika Sivo 3. Viliami Penisini 4. Tom Opacic 5. Waqa Blake 6. Dylan Brown 7. Mitchell Moses 8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 9. Reed Mahoney 10. Junior Paulo 11. Shaun Lane 12. Isaiah Papali’i 13. Ryan Matterson
Bench: 14. Ofahiki Ogden 15. Bryce Cartwright 16. Oregon Kaufusi 17. Marata Niukore
Reserves: 18. Makahesi Makatoa 19. Bailey Simonsson 20. Jakob Arthur 21. Sean Russell 22. Elie El Zakhem
Changes: Mitch Moses in
Jakob Arthur out
Winner: Mitchell Moses ($587k / BE 90) is making an early return from a fractured finger this week. He needs to survive the training week but he’ll be there.
Loser: That means Jakob Arthur ($188k / 24 pts / BE 0) drops out.
SuperCoach Talk: No other changes for the Eels but again, Bailey Simonsson ($336k / BE 61) has been named on the extended bench and could come in.
1. Jake Averillo 2. Jacob Kiraz 3. Aaron Schoupp 4. Braidon Burns 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Matt Burton 7. Kyle Flanagan 8. Max King 9. Jeremy Marshall-King 10. Paul Vaughan 11. Harrison Edwards 12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner 13. Josh Jackson
Bench: 14. Zach Dockar-Clay 15. Joe Stimson 16. Jackson Topine 17. Chris Patolo
Reserves: 19. Declan Casey 20. Bailey Biondi-Odo 21. Brandon Wakeham 22. Luke Thompson 23. Tevita Pangai Junior
Changes: No changes
Winner: I was informed by @bunnyallstars that Tevita Pangai Jnr ($343k / BE 42) missed last week due to the impending birth of his child. Congrats to him and his partner.
Loser: It was a surprising upset and most surprising of all was that Matt Burton ($608k / 23 pts / BE 106) was virtually non-existent. He had 6 points to his name at half time and not much more after.
SuperCoach Talk: So far, the Dogs haven’t made any changes but TPJ and Luke Thompson ($453k / BE 50) are named on the extended bench.
MANLY-WARRINGAH SEA EAGLES v CRONULLA-SUTHERLAND SHARKS
Saturday, 5.30pm, 4 Pines Park, Sydney
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
1. Reuben Garrick 2. Tolutau Koula 3. Brad Parker 4. Morgan Harper 5. Christian Tuipulotu 6. Kieran Foran 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Josh Aloiai 9. Lachlan Croker 10. Martin Taupau 11. Haumole Olakau’atu 12. Andrew Davey 13. Dylan Walker
Bench: 14. Ben Trbojevic 15. Josh Schuster 16. Ethan Bullemor 17. Toafofoa Sipley
Reserves: 18. Kurt De Luis 19. Kaeo Weekes 20. Zac Fulton 21. James Roumanos 22. Jacob Sykes
Changes: Morgan Harper, Ethan Bullemor in
Jake Trbojevic, Jason Saab out
Winner: I did not see the result coming, but my Reuben Garrick ($622k / 81 pts / BE 64) captaincy ended up ok compared to some other popular options. He keeps putting up good scores.
Loser: The news keeps getting worse for Manly. Another Turbo has broken with Jake Trbojevic ($452k / 73 pts / BE 33) now out with a broken hand.
SuperCoach Talk: Jason Saab ($496k / 31 pts / BE 39) has suffered a bad knee injury that has ended his season. Morgan Harper ($430k / BE 67) is the man to replace Saab, pushing Tolutau Koula ($456k / 57 pts / BE 67) to the wing.
Dylan Walker ($392k / 34 pts / BE 72) gets the start at lock for the rest of the year most likely.
1. Kade Dykes 2. Lachlan Miller 3. Jesse Ramien 4. Connor Tracey 5. Ronaldo Mulitalo 6. Matt Moylan 7. Nicho Hynes 8. Braden Hamlin-Uele 9. Blayke Brailey 10. Royce Hunt 11. Briton Nikora 12. Wade Graham 13. Dale Finucane
Bench: 14. Teig Wilton 15. Cameron McInnes 16. Aiden Tolman 17. Andrew Fifita
Reserves: 18. Braydon Trindall 19. Jesse Colquhoun 20. Matt Ikuvalu 21. Kayal Iro 22. Luke Metcalf
Changes: Matt Moylan, Connor Tracey, Andrew Fifita in
Toby Rudolf, Matt Ikuvalu, Braydon Trindall out
Winner: Lachlan Miller ($290k / 79 pts / BE -5) has been pretty good in his very few first grade games. He’ll remain in the side even with Connor Tracey ($419k / BE 88) back.
Loser: Siosifa Talakai ($450k / BE 74) not being named may not be the most upsetting news to most owners, but his exclusion was felt by those who struggled to field a squad last round and could hurt them again
SuperCoach Talk: The Sharks will be happy to see Matt Moylan ($476k / BE 61) and Tracey back in the starting lineup.
Braydon Trindall ($301k / 18 pts / BE 13) and Matt Ikuvalu ($547k / 61 pts / BE 42) drop out with Toby Rudolf ($463k / 26 pts / BE 92) out through injury.
SYDNEY ROOSTERS v WESTS TIGERS
Saturday, 7.35pm, Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney
1. James Tedesco 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Paul Momirovski 4. Joseph Manu 5. Joseph Suaalii 6. Luke Keary 7. Sam Walker 8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 9. Sam Verrills 10. Matthew Lodge 11. Angus Crichton 12. Nat Butcher 13. Victor Radley
Bench: 14. Connor Watson 15. Egan Butcher 16. Drew Hutchison 17. Terrell May
Reserves: 18. Kevin Naiqama 19. Fletcher Baker 20. Oliver Gildart 21. Ben Thomas 22. Siua Wong
Changes: No changes
Winner: Sam Verrills ($485k / 131 pts / BE -6) signed with the Titans for next year and then went about showing the Roosters what they’re letting go. He had his best SuperCoach score by far and only second ton of his career.
Loser: The Roosters really put it to NQ on the weekend but James Tedesco ($767k / 47 pts / BE 124) barely featured. 47 points is his worst score since round 5. Can he bounce back against a leaky Tigers outfit.
SuperCoach Talk: The Roosters are rolling and getting stronger along the way. There are no changes this week but a few of the big boppers are just around the corner.
1. Daine Laurie 2. Brent Naden 3. Starford To’a 4. Asu Kepaoa 5. Ken Maumalo 6. Adam Doueihi 7. Jock Madden 8. James Tamou 9. Fa’amanu Brown 10. Zane Musgrove 11. Luke Garner 12. Kelma Tuilagi 13. Joe Ofahengaue
Bench: 14. Fonua Pole 15. Austin Dias 16. Thomas Freebairn 17. Alex Seyfarth
Reserves: 18. Jake Simpkin 19. Kitione Kautoga 20. Brandon Tumeth 21. Junior Pauga 22. Tyrone Peachey
Changes: Ken Maumalo, Alex Seyfarth in
James Roberts, Tyrone Peachey out
Winner: Joe Ofahengaue ($583k / 67 pts / BE 62) moved back to the lock position and then just kept on scoring SuperCoach points. He’s a man on a mission this year.
Loser: Luke Brooks ($443k / BE 27) is getting closer to a return but it won’t be this week.
SuperCoach Talk: Not much is changing down in Tiger land. Even after a 20 loss to the Sharks they’ve decided to make minimal team changes. Of course, this could be because the club don’t have the troops to bring players back in.
Ken Maumalo ($380k / BE 50) is back in after a rest with a knee issue. Alex Seyfarth ($322k / BE 9) joins the bench.
James Roberts ($275k / 43 pts / BE 34) and Tyrone Peachey ($262k / 20 pts / BE 49) drop out.
St. GEORGE-ILLAWARRA DRAGONS v GOLD COAST TITANS
Sunday, 2.00pm, WIN Stadium, Wollongong
St George-Illawarra Dragons
1. Cody Ramsey 2. Mathew Feagai 3. Moses Mbye 4. Zac Lomax 5. Tautau Moga 6. Talatau Amone 7. Ben Hunt 8. Jack de Belin 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Blake Lawrie 11. Josh Mcguire 12. Jaydn Su’A 13. Jack Bird
Bench: 14. Tyrell Fuimaono 15. Aaron Woods 16. Michael Molo 17. Billy Burns
Reserves: 18. Jaiyden Hunt 19. Jayden Sullivan 20. Francis Molo 21. Tyrell Sloan 22. Jackson Ford
Changes: No changes
Winner: That was some sort of game for Talatau Amone ($381k / 141 pts / BE -53). Three tries and 141 SC points. Breakout game.
Loser: Cody Ramsey ($413k / 35 pts / BE 107) comes back in and the Dragons almost steal a win. It makes you wonder how Moses Mbye ($225k / 16 pts / BE 25) continues to be picked.
SuperCoach Talk: No changes for the Dragons who narrowly lost to the Raiders last weekend.
Gold Coast Titans
1. Jayden Campbell 2. Sosefo Fifita 3. Phillip Sami 4. Brian Kelly 5. Patrick Herbert 6. AJ Brimson 7. Tanah Boyd 8. Jaimin Jolliffe 9. Erin Clark 10. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui 11. David Fifita 12. Beau Fermor 13. Isaac Liu
Bench: 14. Greg Marzhew 15. Herman Ese’ese 16. Moeaki Fotuaika 17. Sam McIntyre
Reserves: 18. Corey Thompson 19. Jarrod Wallace 20. Toby Sexton 21. Paul Turner 22. Klese Haas
Changes: Tino Fa’asuamaleaui in
Jarrod Wallace out
Winner: Like TPJ, Tino Fa’asuamaleaui ($577k / BE 61) missed round 22 to attend the birth of his child. Congratulations. Tough to miss the clubs one win though.
Loser: Toby Sexton ($392k / BE 48) can’t get back into the side after the big Sunday afternoon upset. Will we see him again this season?
SuperCoach Talk: Just the one change for the victorious Gold Coasters. Jarrod Wallace ($325k / 45 pts / BE 70) drops out to accommodate Tino’s return.
NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS v CANBERRA RAIDERS
Sunday, 4.05pm, McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle
1. Tex Hoy 2. Edrick Lee 3. Dane Gagai 4. Krystian Mapapalangi 5. Dominic Young 6. Anthony Milford 7. Adam Clune 8. David Klemmer 9. Jayden Brailey 10. Daniel Saifiti 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Brodie Jones 13. Jacob Saifiti
Bench: 14. Phoenix Crossland 15. Pasami Saulo 16. Simi Sasagi 17. Mathew Croker
Reserves: 18. Sauaso Sue 19. Chris Randall 20. Jack Johns 21. Oryn Keeley 22. Hymel Hunt
Changes: David Klemmer, Edrick Lee, Krystian Mapapalangi in
Bradman Best, Enari Tuala, Sauaso Sue out
Winner: David Klemmer ($534k / BE 77) comes back from suspension and then a knee complaint.
Loser: I’m just about done with this team to be honest. It’s really hard to support them at the moment.
SuperCoach Talk: Bradman Best ($438k / 61 pts / BE 50) and Enari Tuala ($499k / 36 pts / BE 59) have been stood down by the club for failing to meet team standards. They apparently missed the team bus last weekend.
Edrick Lee ($634k / BE 94) and debutant Krystian Mapapalangi ($175k) are in as their replacements.
Sauaso Sue ($185k / 20 pts / BE 43) drops off the bench for Klem.
1. Xavier Savage 2. Nick Cotric 3. Matthew Timoko 4. Sebastian Kris 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Jack Wighton 7. Jamal Fogarty 8. Josh Papali’i 9. Zac Woolford 10. Joseph Tapine 11. Hudson Young 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Adam Elliott
Bench: 14. Tom Starling 15. Emre Guler 16. Corey Horsburgh 17. Corey Harawira-Naera
Reserves: 18. Albert Hopoate 19. Ata Mariota 20. Matt Frawley 21. Ryan Sutton 22. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Changes: Joseph Tapine, Nick Cotric in
Albert Hopoate, Ryan Sutton out
Winner: Joe Tapine ($676k / BE 99) has been named to return from the rib injury that saw him miss last week. Whether he actually plays or not remains to be seen.
Loser: Albert Hopoate ($304k / 66 pts / BE -2) has done a good job filling in of late but with the cavalry back, his time is done.
SuperCoach Talk: Nick Cotric ($359k / BE 3) served his one week suspension so comes onto the wing.
Ryan Sutton ($313k / 55 pts / BE 53) drops out with Tapine back.