RHYSE MARTIN $164,600
With a change in the coach’s box at the Bulldogs next season comes the chance to introduce some new blood into the team. Martin is a Roughie for a spot but has some very interesting credentials for someone who hasn’t played a game in A grade yet.
In 2016 he was Q-Cup second rower of the year playing for the Blackhawks, and in 2017 he won the NSW-Cup second rower of the year at the Bulldogs. Don’t know if this has ever happened before, but it shows the consistency of the bloke.
This year he was also a stand out in the PNG side at the World Cup.
He plays left edge backrow, has an offload,a general play kicking game when needed, and kicks goals (73 this season). Not sure what % he kicks at though.
Here’s his stats for the season.
- Played 20 games
- Averaged 72 minutes per game.
- Total tackles 591 ( 29.5 per game)
- Total runs 275 (13.75 per game) for 2464 metres @ 8.96 mts per run.
- Total post contact mts 971 @ 48.5 mts per game. 4th best in the comp.
- 16 offloads, 10 LB’s, and he scored 9 tries with 1 TA.
- On a down side for him he missed 64 tackles (3.2 per game).
I’m hoping there’s a bench spot for him in round 1,and he gets around 35 minutes, but not sure which way new coach Dean Pay will go with his bench. New signing Clay Priest could beat him to a spot, or maybe Fualalo gets it.
Whatever happens, he’s one to watch during the trials. Maybe an injury opens the door for him. Would like to hear others thoughts on his chances, and the makeup of the Dogs bench.